jump to navigation

Implement Strict School Standards Immediately May 10, 2006

Posted by HUREP NEPAL in human rights news from nepal.
comments closed

The followingtow incidents demonstrate the worst human rights situation in nepal, developed by the visionless leadership.

There are no standards for the schools and children safety. Earlier,in kathmandu, the capital, 25 students were forced in a small van and the school was punished very less. Now this incident of 13 innocent death, raises a rserious question of child rights. If they cannot provide safety, why should they open schools?

Government must scrutinize and repeal all schools without safety saandards.

 

Likewise, the poor labourers in nepalese companies face the fate as mentioned below. The governmebnt has to ensure that every workers shall be insured to life with life inurance, safety, pension and security.

IT I=WILL NOT BE A SURPRISE IF THE PEOPLE START BURNING THESE SCHOOLS AND FACTORIES,ALONG WITH OTHER SIMILAR ONES.

May the deceased souls rest in peace. 

 

Sunsari three-wheeler disaster: 13 schoolchildren dead

Kantipur Report

 

KATHMANDU, May 9 – At least 13 schoolchildren died and nine others injured when a three-wheeler (tempo) carrying students plunged into an irrigation canal in Chatara, Sunsari district, Tuesday morning.According to our correspondents, one of the wheels of the overcrowded tempo belonging to the Moonlight Secondary School suddenly got dislodged sending the vehicle into the Jhumka-Satara section of the Sunsari-Morang Irrigation Project canal at around 9 in the morning.

The vehicle was carrying far many students than it could normally accommodate.

"There were 25 students in the tempo," said Sabin Khanal, a student who swam to safety.

While driver of the tempo Kumar Shrestha fled the scene after the accident, the principal of the school,too, has also gone out of contact.

(more…)

Advertisements

Maoists form a three-member talks team May 10, 2006

Posted by HUREP NEPAL in human rights news from nepal.
comments closed

Maoists form a three-member talks team

 

MAHENDRANAGAR, May 10 – CPN-Maoist on Wednesday said it has formed a three-member talks team with the government.The team, headed by Maoist Spokesperson Krishna Bahadur Mahara, includes other leaders Dinanath Sharma and Dev Gurung, according to the Maoist sources.

The Maoists formed the team on the final day of the three-day central committee meeting held at an undisclosed part of Far Western Nepal along the Nepal-India border.

The sources also said that the meeting was attended by several Maoist leaders including Chairman Prachanda.

Earlier, the Maoists and the government in separate talks in 2001 and 2003 had failed to draw any conclusion.

Welcoming the government ceasefire and withdrawing of various charges on the Maoists, the rebels last week said they were ready to come to the talks table to end the decade-old insurgency that has claimed more than 13,000 lives.

Maoist Chairman Prachanda in his statement on May 4 said, "We hope talks this time will not fail."

Maoists welcome govt announcement, ready for talks May 4, 2006

Posted by HUREP NEPAL in human rights news from nepal.
comments closed

 
KATHMANDU, May 4 – Maoist rebels said Thursday that they welcomed the government announcement of ceasefire and dismissal of various charges on them. Issuing a statement, Maoist Chairman Prachanda said today that his party was ready for dialogue with the present all-party government. Yesterday, the government had announced a three-month-long ceasefire and dropped the Red Corner Notice and terrorist tag labelled on the Maoists. Acknowledging the government dropping the charges, Maoist supremo Prachanda said, “We welcome the offer for talks as a positive step towards the people’s desire for establishment of Loktantra, peace and progression.” Stating that his party was ready to sit for dialogue with the present government, Prachanda said, “Our party expresses commitment to help the nation enter into republic era through peace process as per the spirit of the 12-point understanding and the historic people’s movement.”   He also said that his party has already submitted a "code of conduct" needed to be followed by both—the government and the Maoists during the period of talks. “We hope for its sincere implementation.” The Maoists also hoped that unlike previous talks, the talks this time would be successful as it comprises “the power of a historical people’s struggle and the agreement of unconditional constituent assembly.” This is the third ceasefire declared by the government during 10 years of a bloody insurgency that has claimed more than 15,000 lives so far. Two peace negotiations — held in 2001 and 2003 — failed to yield any result, as the rebels stuck to their demand for constituent assembly elections to draft a new constitution. Prachanda said he was hopeful that an interim government with interim policies would be formed after the first round of talks, following the dissolution of the present parliament, Constitution and the government, which will lead to an election to a constituent assembly.

Govt announces ceasefire; removes red corner notice, terrorist tag on Maoists May 3, 2006

Posted by HUREP NEPAL in human rights news from nepal.
comments closed

The newly formed government announced an indefinite ceasefire and removed the Red Corner notice and terrorist tag on the Maoists Thursday evening.

A meeting of the Council of Ministers announced to reciprocate the ceasefire announced by the Maoists a week ago. Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister KP Sharma Oli announced the cabinet decision.

The two-and-half hour long meeting also called on the Maoists to come to the negotiating table at the earliest. Prime Minister Koirala had proposed for ceasefire at yesterday's cabinet meeting.

Local bodies dissolved

Meanwhile, the government also decided to dissolve the local municipalities constituted after the municipal elections held in February this year and withdraw the nominations in other local bodies.

Compensation to martyrs' families

Today’s cabinet meeting also decided to provide Rs1 million to each of the families of the martyrs of the people’s movement.

19 people lost their lives in the suppression by former government on the movement for democracy spearheaded by the seven-party alliance.

Proclamation to the Nation May 2, 2006

Posted by HUREP NEPAL in human rights news from nepal.
add a comment

Proclamation to the Nation from
His Majesty King Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev
(24 April 2006)
Beloved Countrymen,Convinced that the source of State Authority and Sovereignty of the Kingdom of Nepal is inherent in the people of Nepal and cognizant of the spirit of the ongoing people's movement as well as to resolve the on-going violent conflict and other problems facing the country according to the road map of the agitating Seven Party Alliance, we, through this Proclamation, reinstate the House of Representatives which was dissolved on 22 May 2002 on the advice of the then Prime Minister in accordance with the Constitution of the Kingdom of Nepal-1990. We call upon the Seven Party Alliance to bear the responsibility of taking the nation on the path to national unity and prosperity, while ensuring permanent peace and safeguarding multiparty democracy. We also summon the session of the reinstated House of Representatives at the Sansad Bhawan, Singha Durbar at 1 P.M. on Friday, 28 April 2006.We are confident that this House will contribute to the overall welfare of Nepal and the Nepalese people.We extend our heartfelt condolences to all those who have lost their lives in the people's movement and wish the injured speedy recovery. We are confident that the nation will forge ahead towards sustainable peace, progress, full-fledged democracy and national unity.May Lord Pashupatinath bless us all!Jaya Nepal!(Unoffocial Translation)
Source: Royal Palace Secretariat